With such innovative research and design being implemented everyday across the world, new facts and promises for renewable energy becomes more and more exciting. For a fun read, check out these 10 things about solar power you probably didn’t know including a mix of scientific, historical and usage facts.
- Every hour, the amount of solar energy that hits earth is enough to provide the entire human race energy for a whole year.
- In about 8 minutes and 10 seconds, solar energy travels 93,000,000 miles from the sun to reach the earth.
- China is the world’s leader in renewable and solar energy production and consumption.
- Various space programs around the world utilize solar energy to power their spaceships.
- The first to use solar energy were The Greeks and Romans. Designing homes with south facing windows allowed for sun to heat and light indoor spaces.
- 3,850,000 EJ (exajoules) is the amount of solar energy we would end up with if we added together the solar energy absorbed by the Earth’s atmosphere, land and oceans. That’s about 8,000 times the amount of energy consumed in the entire world!
- The lifespan of modern solar systems is about 30 years, saving you more money than any other energy source.
- Residential solar systems can be offset by rebates and solar energy credits up to about 90%, hence why they really are so affordable.
- Only 1% of homes in the United States utilize solar energy, though it is projected to reach between 20 – 40% over the next 10 years.
- Beside clouds, pollution is the only other barrier to sunlight reaching Earth.
Source: See more facts here